2 June 2013

First Lady Fashion

Hi all,

I have been on a little break for the past week, in Washington D.C. I had a wonderful trip, and will be sharing some of the things I got up to, as well as a few things I purchased whilst there.

First up, one of the museums we went to was the American History Museum (part of the Smithsonian) They have a collection of the first ladies inauguration gowns throughout history, which was really interesting to see. Here are some of my favourites. 

Carloine Scott Harrison 1889-92
Burgundy velvet and grey satin embroidered in a floral design with grey pearls and steel beads

Nancy Davis Reagan 1981-89
Cream coloured two-piece wool knit suit and cream silk blouse designed by Adolfo

Lucy Webb Hayes, 1877-81
Gold damask and cream satin gown by Mrs M.A. Connelly 

Michelle Obama's Inaugration gown 2009
One shouldered white chiffon gown embellished with organza flowers with swarovski crystal centers,
 designed by Jason Wu 

Patricia Ryan Nixon, 1969-74
Mimosa silk satin gown embroidered in gold and silver and encrusted with Austrian crystals.
Designed by Karen Stark for Harvey Berlin
There were even more wonderful gowns in this exhibition, and if you live in the Washington area, or are taking a trip there I would recommend you go and visit.

xox Niamh xox

2 comments:

  1. wow I love Patricia Ryan Nixon jacket. Can you imagine the hours that went into that beauty ! I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday and I am really looking forward to seeing what you got up to xxx Lets get a date for the Summer too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its incredible, and very sparkly. I did have a fantastic time thank you. And yes we must sort out a date ^_^

      Delete