24 December 2012

Christmas Cake

Hi all,

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE! (just one more sleep!!!)

So this is our christmas cake of 2012. This year was the first year that I was completely in control of what the aesthetics of our cake would be. I thought that it would be fun to do holly leaves and berries, kind of cascading over the cake.
My mum made the cake, a 10 inch square traditional fruit cake. She also put almond paste on it, and from there on out it was my time to go crazy.

I used royal icing to make the holly leaves and berries, as the floral paste was too thin, and I wanted a more cartoony effect. I used gel colouring (christmas tree for the green, and claret for the berries) The only other thing I added was gold edible glitter which I mixed with water to form a wet paste, and then I painted it onto the leaves and berries to make them look kind of vintagey and sparkly.

Here it is...







I have no idea how we are going to eat all of it 
(I think I may be delivering it to some of our neighbours)

xox Niamh xox

No comments:

Post a Comment