22 May 2012

Periodic Table Cake

Hi all,

In celebration of my last ever chemistry lesson, I made a cake. Not just any cake, this was a periodic table of the elements cake (or an abstract take on it) I made a carrot cake using a recipe from Avoca (any cooks or bakers out there, check these books out.. they are amazing) I iced it with a cream cheese frosting, but the fun part was the little squares of icing which I made, coloured to pink, green, blue and purple with black icing to pipe the letters. I stuck them to the cake so they were in a nice colour arrangement (the initial idea of putting the entire periodic table on a cake didn't happen, because I don't have a big enough cake tin, and there are only three people in my chemistry class.)
I iced the cake the night before, and when I saw it in the morning I found that the little squares had bled their colour a little, which was fine (okay it did bug me a bit, cause I am a perfectionist!)
Anyway it tasted really good, and the rest of the science department had devoured it by lunch, here it is...



xox Niamh xox

5 comments:

  1. you must be ver ypopular at school bringing all of this cake in !!! : ) did you do one for every lesson? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I only study 3 subjects so I made brownies for my Art class, the flower cake for my textiles class, and this periodic cake for chem.
    I think everyone enjoyed them, I do have quite small classes though, and they were pretty big cakes (some people overestimated how much their stomach could handle!) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh how cool is that. u should be in my class cause i love cake so muchhh. and it's perf for chemistry! what did the teachers say? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said it was cute, I don't think that they were expecting anything, so it was a nice surprise for them. They were all comparing which elements they got in their slice :) Thankyou so much for your comment x

      Delete
  4. OMG this is absolutely amazing! Looks super duper yummy as well :) i love Carrot Cake :P xx

    ReplyDelete